Mensch tracht, und Gott lacht

Monday, September 04, 2017

The U.S., the U.K., and Suez

E-mail September 3, 2017, from Tillman to Friend in Northern Ireland, U.K.

Friend,

My wife and I are having a debate. I am asking you to settle it. Do you think there are still Tories and other loyalists in the U.K. who remain bitter against the U.S. in regard to Suez?

Don't hold back.

Seth

[end]

E-mail September 3, 2017, from Friend to Tillman in the Republic of Ireland. 

[That] was in my Father's generation but it has largely dissipated. I would rarely hear it mentioned now and that includes my time in [a leadership role in a U.K. political party] with mainland Unionists and loyalists.  

I often hear discontent at how the U.S. calls the shots militarily and manage our foreign policy at present. We often appear to tag along and do as dictated to by Uncle Sam and there may well be a residual hangover from Suez in that, but Suez is rarely specifically mentioned.

[end]

Seth Barrett Tillman, The U.S., the U.K., and Suez, New Reform Club (Sept. 4, 2017), https://reformclub.blogspot.com/2017/09/the-us-uk-and-suez.html



1 comment:

Tom Van Dyke said...

My Brit friends are fonder of shaming the US re each of the "World Wars"--as in what took you so long?