Mensch tracht, un Gott lacht

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Elizabeth Fox-Genovese

Elizabeth Fox-Genovese, history and humanities professor at Emory University died this morning in Atlanta. She is perhaps best known as a critic of modern feminism and especially the way it tended to elevate the aspirations of upper-class women and ignore the devastating effects things like "sexual liberation" had on those without such resources. I once had the honor to introduce Professor Fox-Genovese at a talk and I asked her assistant to send me her CV. It ran to 26 pages. My wife and I also once hosted her to dinner at our house. She was as gracious and delightful as she was accomplished. Her story of her conversion to Catholicism is here. RIP.

1 comment:

Hunter Baker said...

I got the email this morning, Michael. I wish I'd had the chance to meet her. I've certainly enjoyed reading her work.