Mensch tracht, und Gott lacht

Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Blegging About Books . . .

Good people of ReformClub land, I am about to enter the post-coursework segment of my doctoral program in Religion, Politics, and Society at Baylor. At this point, we put together a list of 100 or so relevant books (Reformation, Church-State jurisprudence, sociology of religion, political liberalism, American religious history, the Puritans, etc) and study them for a year prior to taking comprehensive exams. I'm working on the list now and would love to benefit from recommendations of books from anyone who cares to Email me.

I have a particular interest in deists, by the way, if anyone knows something about them, all the better.

Mr. Karnick, I'm still waiting for yours!

3 comments:

Tom Van Dyke said...

Check out philosopher Leo Strauss. He uses Plato as a springboard for the West's dynamic tension between "Athens" (reason) and "Jerusalem" (faith).

He's also known as the spiritual godfather of the evil "Neo-cons," but that's a bunch of hooey.

Hunter Baker said...

Thanks tvd, I knew the latter, but not the former.

Jay D. Homnick said...

Just in case it doesn't go without saying, let me say: no such list would be complete without The Lonely Man Of faith by Joseph B. Soloveitzik.