Mensch tracht, und Gott lacht

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Insufficient Evidence

In my post about the ill treatment the President received at Coretta Scott King's funeral I declared her to be an advocate for school choice. From my public policy work in Atlanta in the first three years of the millennium, that's what I remembered. However, upon researching the issue I can't find a solid quote from her and have seen at least one thing to indicate her views may have been more public education union-oriented than I previously believed.

I've found that her niece Alveda and her daughter Bernice both support school choice. I can show that former Atlanta mayor and top King aide Andrew Young supports school choice. Ditto a number of other King associates. But I cannot clearly show the same about Coretta Scott King. The opposite may well be true.

I've preached and preached about not standing by false assertions. Since I can't find the support for this one I thought I had, I have to withdraw it in a regular post.

I continue to believe that a woman of Mrs. King's class and obvious character would not have appreciated the way an honored guest was treated at her funeral, but my belief that she was engaged in THE civil rights battle in the U.S. today is not clearly supportable.