"There is always a philosophy for lack of courage."—Albert Camus

Saturday, December 10, 2005

Eugene McCarthy, RIP

It seems absurd in retrospect, because I was only 10 years old in 1968 (although my prodigy status had gotten me into the 8th Grade), but I was very attracted to Eugene McCarthy's campaign. Had he or Scoop Jackson ever won the presidency, people like myself might well have remained Democrats.

McCarthy was an original. This article is fairly comprehensive. But to capture the mood of the time, you should read the James Jackson Kilpatrick write-up of that campaign in the National Review.

1 comment:

connie deady said...

I was 15 years old in 1968. Eugene McCarthy defined a whole generation of Democrats, who like me, because anti-Vietnam war activists. It also led to fracturing and change in the Democratic party that it's never quite recovered from.

Prior to Vietnam, the Democrats were the interventionists and the Republicans the isolationists. I think the wounds caused in the party by the Vietnam war made it really difficult for Democrats post-Vietnam to be supportive of any war effort.