Mensch tracht, und Gott lacht

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Introductions

Many thanks to Hunter and everyone else over here at The Reform Club for allowing me to add my two cents' worth occasionally (and, as you'll discover, you get what you pay for). I'm a recent PhD in political science with interests all over the map, including the intersection of religion and politics (Pat Robertson's a pagan - more on that later), the fiery roasting of select meats, and good conversation. My wife and I have two small children. For the record Michael Simpson is a pseudonym - I would like an academic job and I see no reason to make it any harder for myself than I need to. Be seein' y'all around...

6 comments:

Hunter Baker said...

I'd like to add that the good "Michael Simpson" brings a wealth of experience from his various life pursuits to our blog. Like me, he has had an intervening career prior to giving himself fully to the academic grind.

There was quite a bit of discussion about admitting our first pseudonymous blogger. Ben Zycher and Herb London (Ph.D.'s both) know a thing or two about academia and suggested the secret identity game might not be a bad idea given the political "diversity" (from really far left to just plain left) of our faculties.

This, of course, raises the interesting question of why an idiot like me is posting under his real name. To which I answer, "No comment, on grounds I may incriminate my own lack of sound judgement."

Jay D. Homnick said...

Welcome, Michael.

Oh, and please tell your kids that we are not prejudiced here against the small.

Tom Van Dyke said...

Cheers, mate.

Matt Huisman said...

Interesting choice for a pseudonym - should I assume that all of the good Aztec deity names were already taken? I hope not, better go grab one quick. How would I be able to look my son in the eye 10 years from now and tell him that I didn't have the foresight to reserve one for him.

At any rate, welcome aboard.

S. T. Karnick said...

Welcome "aboard," "Michael." It's "great" to have "our" "first" "pseudonymous" "blogger." Signed: "The Avenging Journalist"

Benjamin Zycher said...

Yeah, yeah, welcome, schmelcome. New Ph.D? Not tenured yet? No job? Well, get off welfare and get to work. Your kids need a good example in terms of manners, so keep them away from this blog. But you are welcome.