Mensch tracht, und Gott lacht

Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Dog the Bounty Hunter

I haven't seen the A&E Network reality show Dog the Bounty Hunter, but Catherine Seipp's insightful review on National Review Online today almost persuades me to do so. Almost. Her central thought is quite interesting and liberal-minded:

"Dog and his motley crew of Hawaii-based bounty hunters (most of whom are related to him in one way or another) do look rather disreputable, with their mullet haircuts and all that leather. But the charm of the reality series is the juxtaposition of this with their determined, straight-arrow decency."

I have noticed the same thing in regard to the Discovery Channel program American Chopper, which follows the adventures of a family that designs and builds custom motorcycles. The central characters look like a bunch of mugs, but they work hard and are clearly quite creative.

We human beings have a tendency to equate appearance with goodness, and Seipp's observation usefully reminds us that looks can be deceiving. Perhaps I shall take a look at this program sometime after all.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey DOG I AM ARESIDENT OF DENVER YOUR HOME TOWN OVER THE PAST FEW YEARS I HAVE WATCHED PARTS OF DENVERS INNER CITY HOODS TAKE A TURN TO GANGS AND DRUGS YOU NEED TO BE OUT HERE NOW SAVING LIVES AS I SEEN ON MOST OF YOUR SHOWS.BEST OF LUCK TO YOU AND YOURS..any employment opp?when in denver I HAVE A STRONG TEAM READY TO BE PUT TO WORK.AM INTERESTED IN STARTING BAIL BONDS/BOUNTYHUNTERS BIZZ.. GET BACK TO BIG DADDY...SOON...

Anonymous said...

hey DOG I AM ARESIDENT OF DENVER YOUR HOME TOWN OVER THE PAST FEW YEARS I HAVE WATCHED PARTS OF DENVERS INNER CITY HOODS TAKE A TURN TO GANGS AND DRUGS YOU NEED TO BE OUT HERE NOW SAVING LIVES AS I SEEN ON MOST OF YOUR SHOWS.BEST OF LUCK TO YOU AND YOURS..any employment opp?when in denver I HAVE A STRONG TEAM READY TO BE PUT TO WORK.AM INTERESTED IN STARTING BAIL BONDS/BOUNTYHUNTERS BIZZ.. GET BACK TO BIG DADDY...SOON...

Anonymous said...

hey DOG I AM ARESIDENT OF DENVER YOUR HOME TOWN OVER THE PAST FEW YEARS I HAVE WATCHED PARTS OF DENVERS INNER CITY HOODS TAKE A TURN TO GANGS AND DRUGS YOU NEED TO BE OUT HERE NOW SAVING LIVES AS I SEEN ON MOST OF YOUR SHOWS.BEST OF LUCK TO YOU AND YOURS..any employment opp?when in denver I HAVE A STRONG TEAM READY TO BE PUT TO WORK.AM INTERESTED IN STARTING BAIL BONDS/BOUNTYHUNTERS BIZZ.. GET BACK TO BIG DADDY...SOON...

Anonymous said...

Good luck with that, brah.